The Davao Light and Power Company (Davao Light) announced that the second phase of the underground cabling project in R. Magsaysay Avenue is already 50 percent complete

The project follows City Ordinance No. 0152-17, which requires telecommunication companies, Davao Light, and other utility providers to move their overhead lines underground. The project aims to reduce the risks associated with exposed utility lines, such as accidents during storms or strong winds. It will also give Davao’s streets a cleaner, more modern look. The project is part of the city’s ongoing efforts to create a safer and more visually appealing urban environment for its residents and visitors.

(Also read: Davao Light powers 182 barangays in Davao City)

The first phase of the underground cabling project, which spans from the Davao City Central Post Office to the regional office of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) on Suazo Street, was completed successfully earlier this year.

Phase 2 of the underground cabling project covers BFAR to the Unity Archway at the end of Magsaysay Ave., fronting Magsaysay Park.

“We are happy to inform the public that the first phase of the underground cabling project along R. Magsaysay Avenue has been successfully completed,” said Fermin Edillon, head of the Reputation Enhancement Department of Davao Light.

“Last Sunday, we also finished clearing the utility poles and discarded cables from the post office to Suazo Street. The area is now much cleaner and visually appealing. There are still some installations to be done, such as streetlights, to further brighten up the road,” Edillon added.

“You can expect the whole stretch of Ramon Magsaysay Avenue to be completed this year,” said Enriczar Tia, President and Chief Operating Officer of Davao Light, during the Business Matters Media Forum.

(Also read: Davao Light ready to collab with Nordeco on franchise expansion transition)

Next year, Davao Light will begin design planning for the next phase of the Underground Cabling Project (UCP) in Davao City.

“For underground cabling, according to the ordinance, the next phase will be Ponciano and Pelayo Streets. We will probably start the design planning stage by next year, including the coordination,” Tia said.

 

Sources:

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/2nd-phase-of-underground-cabling-50-complete

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/1GRZg1gpbu/

https://edgedavao.net/latest-news/2025/03/davao-light-to-plan-underground-cabling-project-design-for-ponciano-pelayo-streets/

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *